Thursday, July 23, 2009

SYTYCD Favorite Group Dances

I was originally going to do a series of posts about my all time favorite routines from So You Think You Can Dance later this summer right before the 6th season begins. But then they announced that they were going to be revisiting some of the most memorable pieces from the past seasons in the 100th episode special airing tonight, including Ramalama, so I felt I better get at least some of the faves on my list up here. So I'm presenting my top 5 (for now and in no particular order) group dances from all 5 seasons of the US version of SYTYCD. [ed. note - the quality and accessability of some of the following YouTube videos is questionable, sorry.]

In the #1 spot, the routine that I find most devotees of this show list as their favorite group piece. They've been hyping the fact that choreographer Wade Robson is going to not only be revamping this but also dancing in it himself during the 100th ep special. I can't wait to see how the new version stacks up to the original. In the 2nd season this was performed twice, as a piece in the finale show reuniting the entire top 20, and originally (and best) as a showcase for Season 2's top 10. Here's the original:
S2 - The song "Ramalama Bang Bang" by Roisin Murphy, choreographed by Wade Robson


Oh Mia Michaels, you are a conundrum wrapped in a riddle sprinkled with annoying fairy dust. But damn are you a great choreographer. I want to deny this but I totally can't. Five, count 'em, 5 of my favorite routines from this show are from Michaels. Three of which appear on this list. Up first surprisingly is the first group routine from our current season 5 dancers. Seriously one of the funkiest awesome things ever:
S5 - The song "Higher Ground" by Stevie Wonder, choreographed by Mia Michaels


One of the things I've loved about this show (and reluctantly have to give it up to Mia again) is the exposure that they've given great musical artists like Imogen Heap. I've loved her for years and it's been great to see her music used so much and so well on this program. One of the best ways was in this group dance from Season 2 (the video and sound quality is horrible on this one but this routine is nearly impossible to find so we take what we can get):
S2 - The song "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap, choreographed by Mia Michaels


The final Mia routine in this list might be one of my favorite pieces of art PERIOD. I kept this episode from Season 3 on my DVR for months just to watch this opening number; I cried when I saw the top 10 perform it on tour. This piece was really a showcase for the brilliance that was/is Danny, who still sets my heart a flutter (yes, I know he's gay). Performed to Imogen Heap's AMAZING song "The Moment I Said It" here is the top 10 group dance from Season 3 choreographed by Mia Michaels:


Rounding out my top 5 SYTYCD group numbers is another from this season and a hip-hop piece but surprisingly not from Shane Sparks, who I love. This piece is from Tabitha and Napoleon done to the White Stripes of all things. It's superb; especially considering we didn't have any strong hip-hop or break dancers this season except for Phillip.
S5, the song "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes, choreographed by Tabitha and Napoleon D'umo:



So those are my top group routines. Do you agree? What are some of yours? Go ahead and comment about them.

No comments: