Wednesday, September 2, 2009

SYTYCD - Top Couple Routines S1-S5

Tonight as a preview to Season 6 starting in a couple of weeks, So You Think You Can Dance is doing a special presentation of what they consider the top routines from supposedly all 5 of the seasons so far. In honor of this I put together my own list of faves from the first 5 seasons. I've already talked about my favorite group routines but now I'll present my top couple routines. **WARNING** The following videos are from YouTube which is notious for yanking SYTYCD clips off their site so I apologize in advance if by the time you read this the video isn't working.

A little word about the much forgotten first season of this show. I'll never forget the first night I caught an episode of SYTYCD; it was the night that Artem and Ashley danced the following to one of my favorite songs of all time. The 90 seconds that they danced brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't believe how moved I was. Two weeks later Blake and Destiny performed the same routine by Mia Michaels and it was just as beautiful in a totally different way. (Editor's note: I cannot remember for the life of me why in Season 1 dance routines were often recycled? Right down to the costumes. Was it to show the difference in ability between the dancers? Lazy choreographers? No clue.)

S1 - Ashley & Artem Lyrical "Song for You" by Mia Michaels (The following two pieces of video do not have audio - you don't need Donny Hathaway singing - just watch the gorgeous dancing.


S1 - Destiny & Blake Lyrical "Song for You" by Mia Michaels


The famous "Bench Dance":
S2 - Heidi & Travis Contemporary "Calling You" by Mia Michaels


"Table Dance":
S3 - Sabra & Neil Contemporary "Sweet Dreams" by Mandy Moore


"Transformers":
S3 Lauren & Pasha Hip-Hop "Fuego" by Shane Sparks


S3 - Sara & Pasha West Coast Swing - "Rockafeller Skank" by Benji Schwimmer


S4 - Katee & Joshua Hip-Hop "No Air" by Tabitha and Napoleon D'umo


A routine that gets eclipsed by all of the other stand-outs from the 4th season, this surprising partnership between Court and Will was one of my favorite moments:
S4 - Courtney & Will Hip-Hop "Like You'll Never See Me Again" by Tabitha and Napoleon D'umo


S4 - Chelsie & Mark Lyrical Hip-Hop "Bleeding Love" by Napoleon and Tabitha D'umo


S5 - Janette & Brandon Jazz "Ruby Blue" by Wade Robson


S5 - Melissa & Ade Rumba "Emotions" by Tony Meredith and Melanie LePatin

No comments: