Monday, June 7, 2010

Dun dun dun Dah, dun dun dah...

Anybody else inexplicably excited about The A Team movie opening this week? Just me then?
For those of you under the age of 30, here's the backstory of one of the greatest tv shows from the early 80s:
A colorful team of former Special Forces soldiers -- Colonel Hannibal Smith, Lt. Templeton "Face" Peck, B.A. Baracus, and "Howling Mad" Murdock -- are framed for a crime they did not commit. Branded as war criminals, they escape from military prison and go rogue as soldiers of fortune, utilizing their unique talents in an attempt to clear their names and find the true culprit. "If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team."
Television Without Pity posted a great comparison between the new movie and the original television show. I personally think that the producers and casting agents got everything just right. And even though I HATED Smokin' Aces, from the previews I've seen I think writer/director Joe Carnahan got the tone just right for this film. I'm sure it wasn't easy to update the story (they're not Vietnam vets), tone down but still keep some of the camp of the tv show, and fill the movie with enough cool action and special effects to appease to jaded 15 year old (and 45 year old) boys.

And Dwight Schultz and Dirk Benedict, who played Murdock and Faceman respectively on the original series, reportedly make cameos in the movie, to which I can only say Yippee!

An added bonus is that I find each of the four actors (Bradley Cooper, Liam Neeson, Sharlto Copley, and Quinton Jackson) to be sexy in their own unique way. I never could've said that about Mr. T or Dwight Schultz (sorry dudes).

No comments: