Monday, March 8, 2010

Best moments of the 2010 Oscars

I won't go into a big long thing here about last night's Oscar ceremony. It's being rehashed and discussed everywhere and I'm sure y'all are "Oscared" out. Sure last night's production was super long and could've been shortened by removing unnecessary bits - Horror movie montage I'm looking at you - but in general I thought it was one of the more entertaining Oscar telecasts in recent memory. And I didn't even win my office's Oscar pool this year (2nd place) and I'm not upset about it, so you know I had to be enjoying the show if it took my mind off that loss.
From reading various blogs, some of the highlights for me weren't that popular with other folks:
Best Score nominees presented with interpretive dance -
I know I'm a So You Think You Can Dance fanatic, but I can't be the only person who loved this part of the ceremony, can I? It was great seeing past season SYTYCD alums like Travis, Jakob, Russell, Kathryn, Nick, and Ivan. And the choreography was amazing! I thoroughly approve of them getting rid of the Best Song performances like they did this year and replacing it permanently with these dance presentations.
John Hughes tribute -

Even though this loving tribute from Hughes' past teen stars made me feel incredibly old, it was still very touching and brought a little tear to my eye. Also bringing a tear? Judd Nelson's tux and facial hair. I loved the beginning with Molly Ringwald and Matthew Broderick even more than when the rest of the Hughes alums came out on stage; and I was happy to see that they did something special for Hughes beyond just the normal "parade of dead people" that happened later in the show.

Kathryn Bigelow WON!!
Okay, how funny is the photo below? Hee hee. I'm sure James Cameron tried to play it off as a "joke".
I was totally stoked for Bigelow, who absolutely deserved her historic win for Best Director. And to get to have the Oscar presented to you by Barbra Streisand herself? AWESOME.

Best Presenters/Witty Teleprompter Banter -

Tina Fey & Robert Downey Jr. really brought the funny with their little tete a tete about the difference between what actors want and what writers expect of them before giving out the Oscars for best original screenplay and best adapted screenplay. Maybe these two should host next year!



Finally, FASHION!

A big WOO HOO shout out to my beloved gay teddy bear (and Project Runway S4 contestant) Chris March and his awesome dress that he made for Meryl Streep. Seriously, a chance of a lifetime. Yay Chris!


And now for something a little more controversial...
I am like the only person on Earth (except for Zoe Saldana's stylist apparently) that really liked Zoe's Givenchy gown. Yes, it does look like two different dresses sewn together. And yes it does sort of look like those 2 dresses were then attacked by a rabid band of purple plastic and crepe paper leis.
But somehow I still adore this dress. Maybe it's just my love for Zoe Saldana that's blinding me? Oh well.


No comments: