Monday, January 5, 2009

This week in TV season premieres

This first full week of 2009 is bringing a handful of shows that promise to shake the winter blues away.

The first thing I want to talk about is last night's premiere of VH1's Confessions of a Teen Idol. I talked about how much I was looking forward to this show last week, and it did not disappoint!


Let's get the Eric Nies stuff out of the way first. He is, in a word, AWESOME on this show. For some reason I've always liked Nies, and been sympathetic towards him no matter how douchey he acted on the various seasons of the Real World/Road Rules Challenge. And these days, he's like this new-agey faux Buddhist; wearing a lot of linen and hemp clothing but not wearing shoes, growing his hair long, spraying ionized kelp water on his housemates before their tasks to "cleanse their spirits". Hee! It's hilarious; and I'm sure that if I was stuck in a house with him he would be getting on my last nerve with his pep talks and lame fake Dalai Lama crap, but it's good tv. And his burgeoning bromance with Adrian Zmed touches my cold dead heart.
As for the other participants, Billy Huffsey and Chris Atkins were kind of quiet but from the previews promise to be more interesting in the coming weeks. And who knew the biggest tools of the lot would turn out to be the two dudes from Baywatch.
Next week's ep looks great; they have a focus group with women of various ages critiquing the guys "then" and "now". Should be excellent!


Also premiering last night was "Superstars of Dance"; a kind of amalgam of So You Think You Can Dance and America's Got Talent. So far it's too much like the latter for my taste. As much as I enjoyed some of the elements, I don't know if I'll stick with it for the long haul.

Good things about it:
  • Pasha and Anya(!!!!) from SYTYCD. I actually squealed (alarming the cat and dog) when they were introduced.
  • Getting to see awesome popper Robert Muraine again
  • Seeing the Shaolin monks incredible routine

Bad things about the show:

  • Michael Flatley as host
  • The confusing rules/scoring/judging
  • Michael Flatley

No comments: