Sunday, February 28, 2010

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Wrap-Up

I really can't say it any better than journalist Dan Wetzel's commentary about the 21st Winter Olympiad.
I'm a huge Olympics nut, and this was seriously one of the best that I've seen in my lifetime.

First, a belated congrats to the US 4-Man Bobsleigh team's gold medal win Saturday:






Uh, how hot are Steve Mesler and Justin Olsen? Yowza!


Some of my other favorite moments of these games:


The US Nordic Combined team - Before Vancouver, our Nordic combined team had not won a single Olympic medal in this sport; that's since 1924 folks.

But that's all changed now thanks to Johnny Spillane's silver in the indv short hill, his 2nd silver along with Bill Demong's gold medal in the indv long hill, and the Team Combined silver, where Spillane picked up his third silver of the Games along with teamates Demong, Todd Lodwick, and Brett Camerota.

All this for a sport that's never received much attention in this country. As someone who's been a fan since at least the 84 Sarajevo games, it's nice to see Nordic Combined get some respect.

Regarding USA Hockey's silver medal "loss" to Canada on the last day of the Games. It's so bittersweet for me. I really wanted the US guys to win the gold, but one of my favorite hockey players, Pittsburgh Penguins' Sydney Crosby scored the winning overtime goal for Canada.

Finally, why were people at the closing ceremony forced to wear those weird paper-like snuggie ponchos? Pretty great closer though.

No comments: