Let’s see – I was complaining about how shitty a year 2009 had been (2010 has proven to be even more tumultuous); I was sick (I still am); dealing with old and/or infirm pets (still); and as I enter what will be the third year in my “new” house, I still haven’t adjusted or settled into it.
So were there any highlights in 2010? Well, maybe a few.
My top 5 Music Moments:
- The dominance of Ray LaMontagne in my life; especially his song "Let It Be Me"
- Rediscovering the Little River Band after finding an old greatest hits cd buried in the trunk of my car. Move over Journey, LRB is my new karaoke go-to band.
- Succumbing to Lady Gaga fever after resisting for two years
- After decades of singing it in the shower and to myself in the mirror, finally performing “Where Is It Written?” from Yentl for a live audience in November 2010.
Never Let Me Go – quietly devastating
Inception - Clever and captivating
Brotherhood – harshly beautiful
Hipsters – amazing snapshot of 1950’s Russia
Black Swan – seriously and gloriously f*cked up
Top 2010 TV:
- The WINTER OLYMPICS! And I actually got to go to Vancouver, albeit by my sad and lonely self, to see a couple of skiing events.
- The SYTYCD All-Stars season which brought Pasha, Allison, Ade, Mark, and Neil back into my life.
- New series – Modern Family, Justified, The Choir, Sherlock Holmes, Huge
Top 2010 Reading:
- The Hunger Games trilogy came into my life
- I got a Kindle!
- The continued awesomeness of Melissa De La Cruz's young-adult vampire books the Blue Bloods series. It kicks all sorts of Twilight ass.
- Lest you think I only read YA lit, I also enjoyed Pulitzer and National Book Award winners Tinkers, Great House, and The Imperfectionists
For the past 3 years I’ve said that the coming the year couldn’t possibly be worse than the one that I just lived through, and then that year has tried its best to prove me wrong. I truly hope that 2011, a year filled with mystical and powerful numerological importance, will be the year of healing and happiness.
Happy New Year everyone!