Friday, March 14, 2014

"Memories, light the corners of my mind..." OR NOT



2014 has been a rollercoaster of highs and lows for me. I got hit by a car just days into the New Year; my father was hospitalized with two compression fractures in his spine after taking a bad fall; work continues to be a crap-shoot of inconsistency and uncertainty; my finances are shite - All things on the low end of the scale.
On the other hand, I have had the privilege to take two amazing vacations to warm, sunny, tropical locales, and share awesome experiences with friends and create memories that we can share for years to come.

Well at least I hope I can remember these good times. Lately I'm starting to worry.

The one thing that I could always count on was my memory. I have the kind of steel trap brain that holds the most minor of details for all sorts of pop-culture trivia, song lyric, scientific equation etc. My friend Matt Slocum used to call me "Tree" because he said that my brain retained things like the rings of a tree.

Well the past two months or so, I've been uncharacteristically scatter-brained and forgetful. I've taken to writing EVERYTHING down, and setting up silly alerts on my phone's calendar for items as mundane as "bring extra toilet paper down from guest bath".
My doctors say that my recent bad memory is the result of stress, and the fact that I'm spreading myself too thin - what with the myriad of doctor's appointments, massage therapy visits, physical therapy sessions; not to mention the fact that I am two weeks away from a concert performance with the NW Firelight Chorale, and I've had to memorize what seems like hundreds of pieces of music and dance movements.

I'm hoping my docs are right and that next month, when I get to catch my breath and slow down a little (just a little, as I'll be getting ready for Good Friday and Easter singing services), that I will also find that I'm not nearly as forgetful as I've been so far this year.

FINGERS CROSSED.

No comments: